Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thing 4

I enjoyed the video about Flickr. I had never thought about it before, but if your house burned down, along with your photographs and your computer with pictures saved on it, they would be lost forever. If you post them on the internet, they would be secure from calamity.

When it came time to choose my photo from Flickr, I typed in Sioux Falls. I just got home from vacationing there, and it was fresh on my mind. I found a picture of the water falls from the Big Sioux River, which is in downtown Sioux Falls.

I had a more difficult time with image maker. I wanted to put my face on someone else's body, but couldn't get it to work correctly. I settled on using a frame from ImageChef for a picture I had on my computer of Port Aransas.

I see my students using these sites in the following ways: pictures to accompany written reports, and make your own magazine cover as a creative end of book project or character analysis. The trading cards would be useful as well.

It is important to share information about the creative common license with students if they are going to be introduced to these sites.







1 comment:

  1. Great job getting your pictures in your post! Looks like you had fun with the image generator.

    I agree that there are lots of possibilities for uses for these tools in the classroom. Kids especially enjoy using the image generators to create images for projects and PowerPoint presentations.

    Your point about Flickr is exactly what I see as one of the advantages to storing images online--it protects them. I use a different photo sharing site for my personal photos, and I am obsessive about uploading them frequently in case my computer crashes, I lose my flash drive, or some other mishap occurs.

    Sioux Falls looks beautiful! Hope it was a relaxing, restful vacation!

    Thing 4 complete!

    ReplyDelete